Saturday, November 14, 2009

What About the Mother-Son Time?


With all the posts you see about my daughter, you've probably been wondering what my son, Zach, has been up to, and do I even HAVE a son??

Yes, I do! He's 15 years old and busy, busy, busy...here he is with neighbor friend Garrett. They are sewing. Yes, that's right SEWING. It was their Chemistry extra credit assignment for National Mole Day. Did you know there was a National Mole Day?? I didn't either.



Here's Zach's mole: "the Cinnamon Moll"
(kinda scary-I know)


Here is Garrett's mole: he was planning to glue a mini soccer ball in it's hands and call it a "Moalie" (instead of Goalie- get it?). Garrett messed up on sewing the correct pieces together so his mole ended up looking like a cross between a mole-fish-walrus thing. What do you think?



Sewing is not all these talented boys do. They also run cross-country. Here they are at the Folsom Invitational.


Garrett's the one in the middle.



Since they both worked so hard the week before the Fall break came, I decided to take them both to San Francisco the week after I went with my daughter. I wanted my husband to go too, but he had to work so it was just me and the boys!

I tell ya', a MUCH DIFFERENT experience than going with my daughter!



Here they are looking COOL in the new rain forest exhibit at the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park.


Here's the view looking down in the rain forest. It was gorgeous in there. Very green and lush.


Here's some poison dart tree frogs. So tiny and cute!


The boys taking some time out to catch up on their social life...Hahaha!


That's our reflection in the pendulum ball- every half hour it knocks one pin over.


There's me, the mom, figuring out my carbon footprint in the world.
It was surprisingly low.



Yes, that's us Americans!


We should all take a lesson from the Chinese and Brazilians.


The White Alligator. He coulda' been fake for all we knew. The thing didn't budge all day.


The Aquarium was quite nice.


Sitting in the Tunnel 'O Fish.


There's the mom again. Standing near the Bio Dome on the roof of the building.
After this we watched a space movie in the Planeterium IMAX theatre. Very cool!



The trip wasn't entirely educational...I did take them downtown for a couple of hours, where they spent almost the entire time in the Apple Store. Notice the giant iPhone in the background.



The boys playing with the gadgets...while they did this, I ran next door to the Container Store!

In the evening they did this: killed zombies on XBox.
We are very blessed to have a place to stay when in San Francisco. This is my parents' condo and it's decorated all in off-white creams...very relaxing. I love it. While the boys did this- I went in the bedroom and read a good book.


I was surprised that I enjoyed the time I spent with the boys, and honored that they didn't even mind hanging out with me!

3 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Thanks for stopping by my side of the world. I just went through and enjoyed a bunch of your postings. Really interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing! We are the same age -- I'll be 44 in February. I have 11 and 14 year old boys. The moles -- well, what can I say! I think it is great the boys even attempted to sew something. HA! I would have a hard time with that as I can crochet and cross-stitch, but if I try to sew a button on,k it won't stay put for long. I love the mannequin that your daughter made. What fun! I'm gonna put you in my sidebar so that I can visit often. Best wishes, Tammy

Lemondrops Simple Stuff said...

The moles are quite interesting :) Glad to see your son got to have his time. And momma's no fool, 2 trips to the city. I like the way you do things!!! Looks like everyone had a great time!

houseofkat said...

Don't you just love the Academy of Sciences?!? We mainly go to see the butterflies! :) Looks like you had another fun trip to SF.